Monday, 11 May 2009

Spring Clean, Sunshine

It's been a crazy few weeks in my world, between work, a wedding, birthday and birth days, a christening and everything in-between, I’ve had no time to potter at home and find my zen.

After 3 days of intense, eerie, thrilling, midweek mist, I woke on Saturday morning to startlingly clear skies, warm-hot sun and a beautiful day. So after schloefing around in my jammies, a couple of cups of tea and rescuing Oscar from 603 (he makes his way up, and stands at the door meowing, thinking it’s home but hasn’t realized that he’s got to go down again – stupid cat!) I decided it was time for to pack away my summer clothes, pull out my winter clothes and get tough on all the shit I hoard and don’t even remember owning, let alone look at!

I tipped out my drawers on to my bed, pulled clothes from their hangers and got busy. Oscar got stuck in too, natch!


A couple of hours, a few more cups of tea and 4 huge shopping bags (filled with clothes, towels, blankets, and general bric-a-brac) later, I was done! I was really surprised that I didn't get bored with the whole indaba. I usually start with gusto, pull everything out on to my bed and 30min later I'm over it! And then, stuff it all back into cupboards and draws so I don't have to look at the mess!

But here is the end result. I estimate 2 weeks before they return to their usual state of chaos...



My favourite new storage items are the white shoe boxes (from Merry Pak) with little windows so you can see your shoes inside!



If you're wondering why I didn't chuck that fugly brown and cream windbreaker with the red stripe on the arm, it's because it's the only really warm jacket I own, and until I replace it, I'm not going without. (If you're wondering why I bought it in the first place, well, let's just say beggars can't be choosers!)

Of course, there are a few items that I can't bare to part with. My Depeche Mode 101 T-shirt (before the days they made fitted girly Tee's). My official-issue London Fire Brigade sweat-shirt, given as a leaving gift. (Yip, I used to work for the London Fire Brigade. No, I never got to slide down the pole. Yip, they really do have poles.) My Henry's Cafe Bar waitress shirt: my first job in London, after swearing I'd never waitress again! And my matric jersey. Aww!



In honour of winter, fast approaching... I removed all the funky bags I had hanging on my coat hooks and tried something new with my scarves. I LOVE scarves. There are more, in the cupboard, hee hee! Scarves make me happy! It's not quite working for me, but I'll live with it for a while and see... (I think I should move the pink-y ones to the middle hook.)



With another chore done and feeling very house-proud and satisfied, I packed the four big bags into my little car and set off to donate the hoard to Nazareth House. Which made me feel even better - there's nothing like a little giving (not to mention recycling) to brighten up the day.

As for my zen, it's back in full force! Woot!



No comments:

Post a Comment