Friday, 15 May 2009

Motor Skill

This weekend, I need to have one of my tyres repaired/replaced because at some point before last weekend, I drove over something (it's looking like a nail) and by Sunday afternoon my back passenger tyre was pap.

I KNEW something was wrong with my car.

I heard a weird noise, coming from what sounded like my back passenger tyre. I actually stopped the car to check it out. Couldn't see anything, so left it.


Righty-tighty, Lefty Lucy.

So when I pranced downstairs to head out to Ashley's for a Grey's marathon and saw the droopy rubber, I wasn't at all surprised. Luckily, I've had four flats in three years, a few of them within weeks of each other... so I know how to change a tyre. I'm not going to make it into a F1 pit crew any time soon. But this time, (other time), I got my hands dirty, and worked out how to attached all the parts to the jack so that raising and lower the car didn't include scraping my knuckles against the tar.

Wheeling and dealing.

Now, what I know about tyres is: not. much. I know it drives me insane when they do the alignment and they don't get the steering wheel straight. I know that I should rotate the tyres every so often. And I know where to look on the tyre to see what size it is.

BUT

I'm always wary of being tricked into buying things that I don't need for my car! Just because I'm a girl and don't know all that much. (I fear this happened the last time I bought new tyres, and ended up buying two when I only needed one. I'm not going to let that happen again. Bastards.) And so began another Google search for: car tyre/tire puncture repairs. And I stumbled across this site: The Car Bibles.

Hallelujah

Ok. You need to read a lot. And, it didn't say any thing about punctures. BUT it did have a LOT of other info. That may be useful one day. It's all put in layman's terms. There are plenty of well labeled tables and diagrams. And I thought. This is something every driving dame should have in their bookmarks. R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Power to the pretties I say.
But look out for those pavements.

Photo: Pictures of the Great Depression

No comments:

Post a Comment