Thursday, 07 May 2009

Running on Empty

I recently did one of those personality profiles at work (you know the ones). I was impressed with the results, it was pretty accurate (ha! the details go with me to my cremation) except one: Roles that require empathy or sympathy may not suit her. My knee jerk reaction to this was: WTF?! I have empathy and sympathy (cue indignant glare and pursed lips).

BUT in observing my interactions with others since, I’ve realized that it’s not that far off the mark. Don’t get me wrong; in certain situations I display huge amounts of empathy. And sympathy. But only when it’s really called for. Most of the time, I’m a hardarse.

I encountered TWO people yesterday, TWO, who had petrol issues. The first, a colleague, had actually run out of petrol (I’m still shaking my head about it) and needed another colleague to drive her to a petrol station to fill a bottle. (She keeps a bottle and funnel in her car; apparently this has happened before!!!)

The second, a friend, was driving us around town last night, and was on reserve. So Nat and I were chatting about needing to fill up last night before she took me home, otherwise I’d be the friend she’d SOS. I said: I’d help her out, natch, BUT I wouldn’t (here it comes) be very sympathetic. (After all, it’s something that can so obviously and painlessly be avoided.) She was shocked! She said: she hates filling up with petrol. I was shocked. How can running out of petrol, or even the potential to be stranded by the side of the road be better than putting in R50?

It makes me nervous, when my petrol gauge needle hangs around the ¼ mark, I get twitchy, check my mileage counter, and pull in to the nearest petrol station. I have never, EVER, run out of petrol. There’s no excuse for it! I think I’ve seen my petrol light once – and that was only because my car was new, and my previous car was old and didn't have a special light to warn you, and I wanted to see the little glowing petrol pump icon.

So, I’m okay with my empathy/sympathy stash being at an all-time low, sorry for you, mainly because I’ll still bail you out if you run out of gas. I’m might not be terribly graceful about it but I’ll still coming running – with a full tank and some chips!

P.S. I do realize that this post might mean I'm the last person you'll call... that's okay too!

No comments:

Post a Comment