Monday, 09 March 2009

Where’s my straw?

There are many things in life over which we have little to no control. Like the way other people drive, like the kind of service you’re offered, like the dress you’re asked to wear as a bridesmaid. Basically, any time someone else is involved, the only thing you have any control over is self-control.

This is when you need to be a go-with-the-flow person.

I’m not. I try very hard, but I don’t always win.

Take for instance: Me at the new KFC drive-thru window no. 2 waiting to collect my food.
Note 1: I have already paid at window number 1.
Note 2: This is a DRIVE-THRU – once you’re in the queue, there’s no reversing, or power steering your way out of it. You’re stuck until the car in front of you moves.

Lady in the Window: Streetwise 5?
Me: Yes, thanks!
LitW: There’s a new batch cooking, would you mind waiting?
A go-with-the-flow person would have said: Sure! And either turned up their car radio, to rock-on to or struck up a friendly conversation with the Lady in the Window.
Me: !!???¿¿¿ Well, how long will it take?
LitW: Let me find out.
Me (thinking): You already have my money, I’m in a DRIVE-THRU, am I really going to say NO?

I got annoyed with being kept waiting, but mostly with the lack of logic to the process, if there’s a time delay on the food, shouldn’t you be told before you’re stuck on the chain gang? You should see me stuck behind some one driving at 40km/h in the right-hand lane.

Instead of allowing these little irritations to catalyst my rage, I should really see them as practice courts, for How to Suck It Up Gracefully for Dummies 101.

Because, as a bridesmaid, no matter what’s said, chosen, requested, demanded, that’s what you’re expected to do. That’s what you HAVE to do. No matter how illogical… how unfair… how… Argh. I’m torn…

And I’m trying really hard to win this one, to stifle my opinions and my annoyance that I feel that concessions are being made for the other two maids, and not for me. I’m sure I can do it; with a smile and grace and as little passive-aggressive bitchiness as possible. (Next time, I’m coming back as a man.)

So, can someone warn every drive-thru window server, cashier, waiter, driver, junior writer on my team, neighbour, friend and family member, and anyone else I’ve forgotten. OR hand me a really big straw!

2 comments:

  1. It's logical because:
    1) You and the other cars don't expect to be served immediately. You all expect to wait a period to get your food. So the only "additional" (inconvenient) wait is for a particular menu item that has run out.
    2) But only one car is actually ever aware that they are waiting for that menu item. The other cars are perfectly content, because they are in ignorance...
    3) You, who are aware and irritated, have paid, so your trade is assured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... you have raised a very valid few points J. My expectation and perhaps incorrect assumption is that drive-thru should expedite the process.

    However, my objection is more about the logic of her question, rather than the logic of the drive-thru process.

    Should it not have been a statement: The next batch will be ready in 2 minutes, we're sorry to keep you waiting. Rather than, do you mind waiting, when clearly I have no choice.

    ReplyDelete