Friday, 27 March 2009

We are gathered here…

Last night I went to watch Dear Reader (formally Harris Tweed) at The Assembly for the launch of their new album. It was with much anticipation and excitement that I bought the tickets weeks ago – I’ve been waiting for their new album for months. I wasn’t disappointed. The evening kicked off late, but anyone from Cape Town will shrug and disclaim: it’s Cape Town. (Something I’ve never really got used to.)

The Simon van Gend Band kicked off the evening. I’ve known of them for years, but have never heard them. I want their CD. Desperately. And I will hunt them down, even if it means sitting on a dusty floor, straining to see over a lanky boy’s fedora and getting pins and needles.

Dear Reader, I’ve seen them many times. I am a fan. I’m awed by their talent, their guts, their perseverance. (And I covert Cherilyn MacNeil’s shoes.) Their live sound envelopes you and I love that their new drummer knows every word to every song and sings along, even when it isn’t his part. Even he can’t resist the push and pull of strings and sound. It’s as it should be.

They’ve just got back from a tour in Germany and France. They’re from Jo’burg and have played all over South Africa. And it seems, that their audiences are as idiosyncratic as their music! They said that German audiences clap for a very long time, for each song, far longer than South African audiences. And, apparently, Cape Town audiences are just like French audiences: we sit on the floor, we’re quiet. (The last time I saw them play she said it was like playing in a church.) And we dress well (her words, not mine)!

I guess it’s kinda obvious that different cultures react and express themselves differently. But when I’m at a concert, I only ever really think about my own reactions and my immediate surroundings. And to have someone actually point out similarities or differences is cool. Who needs flags, when how they’re waved is much more interesting? Well, I think so anyway!

1 comment:

  1. I've since bought of a copy of Guest of my Feelings by the Simon van Gend band. It's very cool. And available at Kalahari.net

    ReplyDelete