Tuesday, 26 August 2008

A strange little conversation about cell phones...

So, I finally have a new phone. When I got my "flippy-phone" two years ago, I thought they were really cool. Little did I know how many people I'd cut off attempting the one-finger-flip to open the phone, and then the increase in my phone bill when I'd call them back with "I'm so sorry, I cut you off". Sigh.

Sunday was the day, to get my upgrade. I'm back to Nokia (thank god) and it's really a simple phone. When I walked into MTN I didn't really know which model I wanted, and the SUPER-EFFICIENT sales guy set about helping me:

Me: I'm here for an upgrade but I'd like to see your range on the MyCall100 package.
SESG (Super-Efficient Sales Guy): Here's a brochure.
Me (opening the brochure and scanning the phones): Thanks.
SESG: What do you want to use [the phone] for?

*Blink* Yes, I hesitated. And then I said...

Me: Phoning? (With that irritating uptone on the end, like the Americans.) But SESG was not to be deterred (there are obviously more of me out there)

SESG (still smiling): Okay, do you want to take photos? Surf the internet? Do you use it for work? Etc. etc.

Well kids. That's technology for you. That's progress! A phone is no longer, just a phone. (Now if only I could work out how to tune the FM radio thingy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment